Sun May 7 4pm —
Workshop - Science Area
1825 Monetary Ln #104 Carrollton, TX 75006
||Strawberry DNA extraction
Cancellations for this event must be made before May 7, 2017 — 4:00pm.
Registration for the event is closed.
About this Event
Genetic Engineering: Strawberry DNA extraction
1. Place half of a strawberry into a plastic bag, remove air
from the bag, and seal it.
2. Smash the strawberry in the bag with your hands until it is
3. Add 10 mL of DNA extraction buffer to the plastic bag.
4. Continue to smash the strawberry for 1 more minute.
5. Set up a filtration apparatus by placing the funnel into the
cup and lining the funnel with 1 or 2 layers of cheesecloth.
6. Pour the strawberry/extraction buffer mixture into the funnel
and allow it to filter into the cup.
7. Discard the cheesecloth into the plastic bag and pour 2 mL
of the strawberry filtrate into a centrifuge tube.
8. Carefully layer 8 mL of ice-cold ethanol on top of the 2 mL
of strawberry filtrate already in the tube.
9. Carefully wind the wood applicator stick to spool the DNA as
it precipitates out of t