Sat Dec 5 1pm —
1825 Monetary Ln #104 Carrollton, TX 75006
||Learn to do Portraits in wood using Marquetry, Inlay or Intarsia
- Cost: Free
- DMS members only
- Ages 18+
Cancellations for this event must be made before December 5, 2020 — 1:00pm.
There are no more spaces available for this event.
About this Event
Take Note: Cost of the class is $10 (exact change cash please) per person payable to the teacher at the start of the class. By signing up you agree to this fee.
Come learn to do Portraits in Wood using the techniques of Marquetry, Inlay, and Intarsia. This will likely be the ONLY time I teach this since it's being done as a special favor to several members who requested it.
Topics Covered will be:
- Workflow for digital intarsia
- Creating vectors from a scanned graphic
- Breaking those vectors apart to create individual pieces and files
- Cutting the pieces on either a laser or CNC for a perfect fit in veneers or hardwoods
- Touch on creating facial portraits from a photograph.
- Optimising the speed and power for good and tight results
- Using tabs with veneers
- Doing a dry fit and taping the workpiece up for handling and glueing
- Sanding and Finishing
Nick Silva is a 25 year veteran of doing woodworking and woodturning. 20 years of that has been done using a Laser for cutting and engraving for clients all over the world.
Nick likes Stella Artois beer.
Special Considerations and Warnings
We will cut a portrait at the Epilog Fusion laser after the class. Dress appropriately for the workshop.